This blog post is about my personal experience of how I got the job offer in Europe. I was a Software Engineer with 2 & half years of experience in Egypt when I started looking for a job abroad.
I was planning not to write this blog post unless I travel abroad as a Software Engineer & pass the probation period, to be sure that I’m writing something useful!
Finding your job abroad is not rocket science. “Thousands of people did it before you & more will do it after! So it’s really simple if you have the desire & the dedication for it”, said Mostafa Nageeb
I will try to summarize what I did, maybe it would help someone to answer the How To Start? question. It took less than 6 months from the day I decided to move mainly to Silicon Valley or Europe.
How did I start looking for a job?
I thought it’s super easy, I will just apply for a job then get into the interviewing process then offer, sounds like super easy. Isn’t it? Unfortunately, it’s not!
I started applying for the top companies in the world (Google, Facebook, Uber, Airbnb, Linkedin, ..etc), my CV is not passing any filtration process. Then I was applying for every vacancy through Linkedin, only rejections! Now I’m sure it’s mainly because my CV didn’t catch the recruiter eyes in the first 10 seconds.
Then I was googling software engineer CV and a huge number of websites till I found this https://www.careercup.com/resume this is how it should be done. I updated my CV and it was only the beginning.
Updated CV .. Ready .. Steady .. Apply!
Here is my secret of how to get into the interviewing process:
- Apply for only matching vacancies, that you can really fit.
- Check the company website, apply there on the matching job.
- Get a couple of recruiters for this company from Linkedin, send them a private message that you applied for this job with a link for it & check how can they help you to get in the interviewing process.
- If you follow these steps, I can guarantee that 90% you will get into the process.
My First Interviewing patch .. Google, Booking & Bloomberg!
I received an invitation for a call from a Google recruiter, I had the call then I asked for 4 weeks to prepare for the technical interview.
I had no idea how to prepare for an interview, after some search, asking friends who had the same experience before. I had an initial idea about how to start (I will summarize in steps at the end of the post).
After a couple of days, I got an invitation from Booking & Bloomberg with some other companies. During those 4 months, I was interviewing with around 10 companies.
If you are ready for Google, you are ready for any interview for a Software Engineer on Earth!
I got an onsite interview for Google, Booking, Bloomberg & Zalando. Rejected in Google & Booking final stage & joined Zalando!
How to prepare for a technical interview?
- Choose one the programming languages and know it very well. Know the basics, how the data structures work under the hood, operators, memory & threading.
- Read about threading, processes & what are the differences between them?
- Data structures (Stack, Queue, Linked List, Binary Search Tree, Vector & Array List, HashMap & Hash Table &Trie). It would be better to implement each of them yourself.
- Algorithms & Techniques (Breadth First Search, Depth First Search, Binary Search, Tree Traversing, Sorting Algorithms, Recursion & Dynamic Programming).
- How to calculate Big-O? This is very important.
- Memory (Stack VS Heap).
- Study this lecture (Lecture 9 Scalability Harvard – David Malan).
- Read Gayle’s book Cracking The Coding Interview.
- Solve problems on Leet Code as much as you can.
P.S If you know the answer for a question in the interview, don’t pretend that you are trying to get the answer .. Say that you know it! Honesty is a really important factor in the evaluation.
After this, you should be ready for Google.
In the upcoming weeks, I will write in more details how to prepare for a technical interview?
Good luck 🙂